Saturday, July 19, 2008

Time to Levy a beating on the big four

We're back to the terrible puns, don't hate me, at least I try.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has done exactly what I was hoping he would. After putting up with all kinds of bollocks from Liverpool's public and invited pursuit of Keano* and Man United's public and uninvited pursit of Berbatov**, Levy filed a complaint with the Premier League.

I don't know what else I can say on this subject, other than it looks like I chose a good time to pick lack of respect for athletic contracts as my pet peeve. Especially from teams that are whining themselves about other teams pursuing their players.

Notable quotables from Levy:

"It is unbelievably hypocritical given [Sir Alex Ferguson's] comments in respect of Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid"

"The behaviour of both clubs has been disgraceful. We told both clubs very early on that we had no interest in selling Robbie or Dimitar, respectively, and that they should refrain from pursuing the player."

"Today's public comments by Manchester United's manager, announcing that he has made an offer for Dimitar and is confident that the deal will go through with time working in their favour, is a blatant example of sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players."

The full article is linked above, I implore you to take a look. Believe it or not, I don't think there's anything else I can say on the topic, other than it's irritating beyond the point of belief. It's putting the entire team off its confidence in a season where Spurs will finally have a fully healthy and strengthened squad. This year has real potential to be an improvement on Jol's achievments at the helm.

Absolutely classless behavior from some of the top sides in the Premiership. Classless and shameful.
-----------
* My earlier comment on Liverpool's pursuit of Robbie Keane is here (see the very bottom)
** My earlier post on Manchester United's pursuit of Dimitar Berbatov is here

No comments: